nvidia

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 03:40:16 UTC 2007

Antonio Olivares wrote:

>> It's not at all clear why the kernel license should
>> control someone else's work.
>>

> Remember Les, the kernel is released under the GPL,
> and as such it is restricted to the conditions
> provided under it.  There are other licenses which
> might not restrict this, but the kernel and all the
> drivers that make their way into it fall under this
> umbrella.  It is a very touchy issue and there's not
> much that we can do to change it:( .

Linus was widely quoted as saying that binary modules were permitted in
the early years.  Personally I don't believe it would have become
popular had that not been so.

And touchy or not, someone would have to prove that a driver was a
derived work before the GPL could prevent distribution under other terms.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com