nvidia

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 13:12:36 UTC 2007

Alan Cox wrote:
>> There's no piracy involved here as nvidia gives the drivers away and
>> permits redistribution.  It is the Linux side that makes their product
>
> If I give away copies of someone elses movies and permit redistribution
> then thats still piracy.

How so, when the 'someone else' explicitly allows redistribution without
modifications?  Specifically:

"2.1.2 Linux/FreeBSD Exception. Notwithstanding the foregoing terms of
Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux or
FreeBSD operating systems, or other operating systems derived from the
source code to these operating systems, may be copied and redistributed,
provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way
(except for unzipping of compressed files)."

> The question is one of derived works and what
> the derived work boundary is.

Interfaces are interfaces.

--
   Les Mikesell