nvidia

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Mon Oct 29 14:40:02 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 22:11 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Frank Cox wrote:
>

> >> Except that the people
> >> providing the binary do have a reason to care if it works.
> >
> > Until they decide that it's time to sell you another card and discontinue their
> > binary blob for the model that you already have.
>
> In a reasonable OS, a binary blob that worked today would work again
> tomorrow.

I have gone from Fedora 5 to 6 to 7 with the same nvidia blob.
Occasionally the fix for bugs or security will no doubt affect memory
allocation, driver argument processing, or the manner of input from
peripheral devices, and this in turn may require some change in the
binary driver to be consistant.  However, this is not a fault of either
OS or binary driver, but rather a failing of human nature, and one that
I, as a programmer can tell you takes decades of experience to even
minimize, forget about eliminating it, because the fault you don't know
or recognize you cannot code to prevent.

Regards,
Les H