nvidia

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 23:45:49 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:

>> I want something tested but not ancient.  Neither disto provides that
>> except for the first few months after an RHEL cut.  But I'm usually
>> happy with old kernel and server apps (except subversion and
>> dovecot...). It's  generally just the desktop stuff that changes fast
>> enough to care about.
> ----
> the problem is and will always be the interdependence among the various
> packages. While it may be convenient to look at things in a vacuum, they
> simply don't work that way - one package update requires updates on
> requisite packages which impacts something else down the line. The very
> thing that makes you rich, makes you poor.

That's a possibility, but rarely the case except perhaps for the
Gnome/KDE environments themselves.  Usually it is possible to build
current packages on older RHEL versions, but then you have to maintain
them yourself.

> On Windows, software is self referenced so that there isn't the package
> dependencies that you have with Linux. But that's also why each text
> editor/word processor etc. doesn't have to include a dictionary on Linux
> and why they all include a dictionary on Windows.

I'm not sure what you run under windows, but my email and word processor
share a dictionary and I believe they document the interface to it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com