nvidia

Anders Karlsson anders at trudheim.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 06:52:42 UTC 2007

Thus, Les Mikesell at Mon Oct 29 23:45:49 2007 inscribed:
> Craig White wrote:
>
>>> I want something tested but not ancient.  Neither disto provides that
>>> except for the first few months after an RHEL cut.  But I'm usually happy
>>> with old kernel and server apps (except subversion and dovecot...). It's
>>> generally just the desktop stuff that changes fast enough to care about.
>> ----
>> the problem is and will always be the interdependence among the various
>> packages. While it may be convenient to look at things in a vacuum, they
>> simply don't work that way - one package update requires updates on
>> requisite packages which impacts something else down the line. The very
>> thing that makes you rich, makes you poor.
>
> That's a possibility, but rarely the case except perhaps for the Gnome/KDE
> environments themselves.  Usually it is possible to build current packages
> on older RHEL versions, but then you have to maintain them yourself.

Let me see if I have understood this right. You look at subversion or
dovecot in RHEL5, and you can determine by just looking at the version
number that they are insufficient for your needs, even if they were
suitable five months earlier, when RHEL5 was just released?

That, to me at least, would indicate that you have totally failed to
understand the purpose of RHEL and the value that it provides to
Enterprise customers. It also would indicate that you do not
understand how Red Hat maintain each release of RHEL (although you are
in good company there, as some customers don't understand that either
to start with).

--
Anders Karlsson <anders at trudheim.co.uk>
All-Round Linux Tinkerer & RHCE