DHCP & DNS [OT]

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Tue Oct 30 12:54:13 UTC 2007

On Tue October 30 2007, John Summerfield wrote:
> > If anybody would like more details, just let me know.
>
> As one who has a Linksys wrt54g (one of those revisions that's
> compatible) I'm very interested in this, and any more information you
> can offer.
>
> In particular, what can you do now that you couldn't before?
>
> I've been sorely tempted to upgrade it to non-linksys firmware; one of
> the problems I have is it tends to die under load, requiring a reset,
> and if there's nobody around, a reset is fairly inconvenient.

Flashing my Linksys is also on my wish/todo-list. There's much discussion
about running Firewall Builder in that environment, and how much more capable
your firewall can be using that scenario. There's links to that information
from the Firewall Builder web site.

I'm also wondering how you've concluded, John, that it's the load causing your
Linksys to die. I too have a problem of frequently losing the connection
between my wireless devices and the router, which is cured by a reboot. I got
around to looking up troubleshooting faqs on the Linksys website yesterday,
and they specifically suggested the possibility of wireless phone system
interference (wireless home phone system, not cell phone). They suggested
changing the Linksys channel from the default 6 to either channel 1 or 11 --
I've set mine to 11 and so far, so good - it's only been about 36 hours, so
it's a bit early to tell.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA