nvidia

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Oct 30 13:51:46 UTC 2007

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>> I find this an astonishing assertion. Surely the Linux kernel
>> interface changes reasonably often?
>
> um ... no.  the kernel *internal* interfaces may change, but the
> interface that is presented to the outside world is very stable.
>
> http://lxr.linux.no/source/Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt

Did you actually read this article that you quoted?
------------------------------
You think you want a stable kernel interface, but you really do not, and
you don't even know it.  What you want is a stable running driver, and
you get that only if your driver is in the main kernel tree.

As I understand it, this discussion is about drivers
that are _not_ in the main kernel tree.

I quite often compile the orinoco_usb module,
which is not in the kernel tree,
and quite recent versions of this fail to compile with new kernels
(eg 2.6.23 as compared with 2.6.20).