nvidia blues

Joel Gomberg obligor11-fedora at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 16:24:08 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>>
>>>    So I am happy with the run file and will send another email with
>>> exact instructions on getting the right one (it took me 2 tries).
>>
>> If you are happier with the nvidia installer than the rpms then great,
>> I know there are many on this list that agree with you. Each to their
>> own.
>>
>> However, please don't bother posting yet another half-arsed attempt at
>> a howto... In this case I don't believe you can improve on the
>> instructions on the nvidia site itself, which I think are pretty
>> self-explanatory.
>>
>> The (current) driver page
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_100.14.19.html
>> and the readme
>> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/100.14.19/README/index.html
>>

>> give all the info you could ever need, I think. If you have problems
>> understanding parts, I'm sure nvidia will accept feedback to improve
>> their web site ;)
>>
>> Chris
>>
> The only thing they do not say is that now you must run the file with
> the Xwindows off. And that is simple if you learn that init 3 will do
> it. But it isn't in their docs anywhere....

Of course it isn't, but  ...

Before you Begin

Before you begin the installation, exit the X server and terminate all OpenGL
applications (note that it is possible that some OpenGL applications persist
even after the X server has stopped). You should also set the default run level
on your system such that it will boot to a VGA console, and not directly to X.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/100.14.19/README/chapter-04.html

--
Joel