iptables: drop or reject?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Oct 30 21:01:20 UTC 2007

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>    To drop or not to drop, that is the question.  If there's a server
> out there sending spam e-mail, and I use iptables to block it, is it
> best to simply drop the packet, or should I do a '--reject-with
> icmp-host-unreachable' (or 'icmp-port-unreachable') or just a 'tcp-reset'?
>
>    Basically, if I just drop the packet, the server in question would
> simply continue to send stuff, wouldn't it?  As far as it knows, its
> spam reached the destination, whereas if I send something back, it might
> actually acknowledge and stop?  Yes?  No?

If you drop, the sending host will often keep sending SYN packets until
it decides you are talking, maybe 3-10 packets. If you send back an
unreachable status it may not try again until later. I also played with
the port-administratively-prohibited status, and a "TOS-host-redirect"
packet suggesting the best route to the network was 127.0.0.1. ;-)

I'd reject, in general it will reduce the number of packets you get.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>