minimal install fc7

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Oct 30 22:46:53 UTC 2007

ervin wrote:
> Just installed FC 7 ... works well on my Desktop however I need a set
> of minimal installs  .... in other distributions it's a choice in the
> install process .... maybe I miss something here ...
>
> Where do I find the easy way through to a min install??

I was thinking on this very issue this am, while out for my post-dawn
stroll.

I sometimes want to build an appliance, typically a server with one
fuction, maybe a backup server, a print server, a firewall, or just a
basic Linux system to help rescue a broken Windows.

I generally use Debian for the purpose because
1. The installer will run (or did last time I had such a small machine)
in 64 Mbytes.
2. It only needs about 4-500 Mbytes of disk.
3. There's an enormous array of software in its repo, over 18500 at last
count.
4. It supports almost any hardware I can find: I've run it on Sun
Sparc64, oldworld Powermacs (and could have run it on my Mac Classic if
I had the mind) I've just downloaded 3 DVD images )I got a little
carried away) which I intend to run on my virtual mainframe.

I'd quite like to be able to use Fedora, but until I can create a very
small install image on a small system, that's impractical.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait