minimal install fc7

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Tue Oct 30 23:28:45 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 07:46 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> ervin wrote:
> > Just installed FC 7 ... works well on my Desktop however I need a set
> > of minimal installs  .... in other distributions it's a choice in the
> > install process .... maybe I miss something here ...
> >
> > Where do I find the easy way through to a min install??
>

> I was thinking on this very issue this am, while out for my post-dawn
> stroll.
>
> I sometimes want to build an appliance, typically a server with one
> fuction, maybe a backup server, a print server, a firewall, or just a
> basic Linux system to help rescue a broken Windows.
>

> I generally use Debian for the purpose because
> 1. The installer will run (or did last time I had such a small machine)
> in 64 Mbytes.
> 2. It only needs about 4-500 Mbytes of disk.
> 3. There's an enormous array of software in its repo, over 18500 at last
> count.
> 4. It supports almost any hardware I can find: I've run it on Sun
> Sparc64, oldworld Powermacs (and could have run it on my Mac Classic if
> I had the mind) I've just downloaded 3 DVD images )I got a little
> carried away) which I intend to run on my virtual mainframe.
>
> I'd quite like to be able to use Fedora, but until I can create a very
> small install image on a small system, that's impractical.
----
you can 'unclick' every group in the installer or even easier is to
create a kickstart that just installs @base...

--- begin ks.cfg ---
# Install a fresh system rather than upgrade an existing system
install

# Perform the kickstart installation in text mode
text

# Sets the language to use during installation
lang en_US.UTF-8

# Sets the language(s) to install on the system
#langsupport en_US

# Sets system keyboard type
keyboard us

# auto mouse
#mouse

# grub
bootloader --location mbr

# Reboot at the end
poweroff

# Run Firstboot
firstboot --enable --reconfig

# Start in runlevel 5
#xconfig --startxonboot --defaultdesktop=KDE

# Sets up the authentication options for the system
authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5

# Sets the system time zone
timezone America/Phoenix

# Configures network information for the system
network --device eth0 --bootproto dhcp

# Sets the system's root password to "whatever"
rootpw password

# Specifies how the GRUB boot loader should be installed
bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=sda --append="rhgb quiet"

# Removes partitions from the system, prior to creation of new
partitions
clearpart --all --initlabel
part swap --recommended
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size 100
part /     --fstype ext3 --size 1024 --grow

# Package Selection
%packages --resolvedeps --ignoremissing
@base
# personally, I would probably add these...
#@admin-tools
#@text-internet
#emacs

# Post-installation Script
%post
# import RPM key(s)
rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
#rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-extras
--- end ks.cfg ---

adjust as necessary

Craig