Fedora May Be Killing Your Laptop's Hard Drive?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Oct 31 01:29:32 UTC 2007

Konstantin Svist wrote:
> Oh, I see...
> I just assumed that the RAW_VALUE will have the actual number of load
> cycles :P

No problem.  I haven't read a lot about this yet, but so far I haven't
found any good explanations of how the raw value should be read.
Hopefully someone will make it clearer sometime soon.

> As for the lifespan of the drive - there's a helpful link on the page I
> mentioned in my last email. Here's the link:
> http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_momentus7200.pdf
> It says my drive is rated for 600k load cycles. This number is achieved by
> statistical measurements.. so it's fairly close to the actual lifespan of
> the drive. Of course if the raw value doesn't correspond, there's no
> comparison :)

Yep.  I'm not saying the value doesn't correspond -- just that I'm not
sure the way it's being read in the Ubuntu bug and other articles
doesn't make mesh with the info in the smartctl man page.

Either the Ubuntu bug, the smartctl man page, or I could be way off
base. ;)

No one gets too old to learn a new way of being stupid.