To remain in summer time.

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Oct 31 08:49:53 UTC 2007

Strong wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:57:17 -0500 "Mikkel L. Ellertson"
> <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>> Strong wrote:
>>> Is it possible to remain system's time in the summer time for now
>>> even though I use ntping for sync.? I would not to change the time
>>> whole year long on my laptop. How I can do that?
>>>
>> Set the system time zone to the proper offset from UTC, instead of
>> one of the names time zones. (GMT+x or GMT-x)
>>
>> The offsets are still expresses from GMT instead of UTC...
>>
>> Mikkel
>
> Is it correct solution if I just make a symbolic link of /etc/localtime
> to /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC ? But how I cab adjust offset then?
> Should I do anything else than this? Will it not be reset at reboot?

No:
[root at potoroo ~]# ls -l /etc/localtime
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 440 Oct 22 07:40 /etc/localtime
[root at potoroo ~]#

RH does not use a symlink, /etc/localtime might be required before /usr
is available.

I'm sure there's an entry in the Administration menu for this, but if
you want to take a chance:
\rm -f /etc/localtime
\cp -pf /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC /etc/localtime

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait