send e-mail without use sendmail

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 16:58:26 UTC 2007

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:03:02 -0500
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> dnl # Uncomment and edit the following line if your outgoing mail needs to
>> dnl # be sent out through an external mail server:
>> dnl #
>> dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.your.provider')dnl
>
> I never figured out how to make that work when the ISP's mailserver requires
> SMTP AUTH.  Not that I tried very hard, I suppose.
>
> Is there a way to do it?

Of course - sendmail is infinitely configurable.  The tricky part is
meshing your changes with the pre-configured bits of fedora.  This would
be a starting point:
http://www.screaming-penguin.com/node/4214
but look through the commented out parts of your existing sendmail.mc
for the locations of the .pem files etc, if you use ssl.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com