To remain in summer time.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Oct 31 17:04:56 UTC 2007

Strong wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:20:23 -0500 "Mikkel L. Ellertson"
> <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>> It is much easier to run setup as root, pick Timezone configuration,
>> and then select the correct GMT value. Even though GMT and UTC are
>> not exactly the same, the differences will not matter to you here.
>> One of these days, all the GMT+x and GMT-x will probably be replaced
>> by UTC+x and UTC-x but for now, you will need something like GMT+5
>> for your timezone. The exact value depends on your location, and the
>> time you want displayed.
>
> Well. If I set it to GMT-7. Now date shows correct time, but my KDE
> wrong time when I set KDE to show local time. Why? Is it not for all
> programs - the set time zone?

I don't use KDE much, so I am not sure about this, but it may set
the time zone as part of the configuration when you run KDE for the
first time. The user's time zone would then default to the system
time zone at that time. In that case, changing the system time zone
would not change the user's time zone setting.

You can try creating a new user, logging in using KDE, and see if
the local time is displayed correctly. If it is, then you will have
to search KDE for a time zone setting.

One thing I do know is that you can set a user's time zone to be
different then the system time zone. This is handy for a system that
has remote users from different time zones. That way, the user sees
his/her local time for things like the time display, and calendars
and such, even though the system is in a different time zone. (Log
entries will still show the computer's time zone, or UTC, depending
on the application generating them.)

Mikkel