Experiencing the Grub Error 17

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 21:35:50 UTC 2007

On 10/22/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> >> You haven't posted your grub.conf yet.
> >>
> >> At the GRUB command-line you can try "find /grub/grub.conf". If it
> >> succeeds, try loading the file with "configfile /path/here".
> >
> > My grub.conf file:
> >
> > # more /mnt/sdc2/grub/grub.conf
> > # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> > #
> > # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> > # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> > #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> > #          root (hd0,0)
> > #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> > #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> > #boot=/dev/hda
> > default=0
> > timeout=5
> > splashimage=(hd2,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> > hiddenmenu
> > title Fedora (2.6.22.9-91.fc7)
> >         root (hd2,1)
> >         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-91.fc7 ro root=/dev/VolGroup/LogVol01
> > rhgb
> >         initrd /initrd-2.6.22.9-91.fc7.img
> > title Fedora (2.6.22.7-85.fc7)
> >         root (hd2,1)
> >         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.7-85.fc7 ro root=/dev/VolGroup/LogVol01
> > rhgb
> >         initrd /initrd-2.6.22.7-85.fc7.img
> >
> > Paul
> >
> Hi Paul,
>  Sorry for the delay - busy day.

Thats is OK, Mikkel!

> I think a big part of your remaining problem is that you did not
> update your grub.conf to reflect the BIOS mapping. Because of this,
> Grub is looking for its files in the wrong place. If you change all
> the hd2's to hd0's, things should work better. You will have to run
> setup from the grub prompt, or run grub-install after booting from
> the Linux drive. This because Grub uses the BIOS to access the
> drive, so your config file has to reflect the BIOS mapping. When you
> boot from the Linux drive, the drive becomes hd0 instead of hd2. You
> should not need any map directives, and the kernel should boot fine
> because you are a label to define the Linux root directory.

I have meanwhile been able to copy the entire /dev/sdc3 to /dev/sda1,
and /dev/sdc2 to /dev/sda2. So the two logical volumes are now in
/dev/sda (larger and faster disk). The device /dev/sda is a SATA disk;
the other an IDE one.

I can boot in F7 in /dev/sda (the new disk) using the grub.conf in
/dev/sda2 and the other volume in /dev/sda1. However, I always get the
grub prompt when booting. I just need to run the command

configfile (hd0,1)/grub/grub.conf

and the machine starts booting correctly. The question now is: how can
I avoid the grub prompt when booting?

Paul