changing intrd

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 22:43:51 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
>    I read the man initrd and it said to make a new file for use you do
> this:
>
> CONFIGURATION
>       The /dev/initrd is a read-only block device assigned major number
> 1 and
>       minor number 250.  Typically /dev/initrd is  owned  by  root.disk
> with
>       mode  0400  (read  access  by root only).  If the Linux system
> does not
>       have /dev/initrd already created, it can be created with the
> following
>       commands:
>
>               mknod -m 400 /dev/initrd b 1 250
>               chown root:disk /dev/initrd
>       Also,  support  for  both "RAM disk" and "Initial RAM disk" (e.g.
> CON-
>       FIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y ) support  must  be
> com-
>       piled  directly  into  the Linux kernel to use /dev/initrd.  When
> using
>       /dev/initrd, the RAM disk driver cannot be loaded as a module.
>

>    Well I looked for /dev/initrd in this computer and there is none! So
> I think the man page is wrong! Well this is it about for me. All the
> Google data is for Red Hat 6.

You don't need /dev/initrd - you need
/boot/initrd-your-kernel-version.img as mentioned in grub.  man mkinitrd
will show the command to build a new one and the only special trick is
that you need to put the necessary but missing 'alias' entries in
/etc/modprobe.conf first so it will include your driver modules in the
new image.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com