ATI/AMD to play nice with graphics and work with Red Hat???

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Thu Sep 6 14:35:30 UTC 2007

MC> I thought radeon was already done, adn now avivo was being created
MC> for the newer cards?

R200 had public documentation for most things, but of course you can't
really get R200-based cards these days.  R300 and R400 derivatives
that don't have avivo setup cores were reverse engineered but still
haven't been figured out completely.  The avivo driver provides
unstable and completely unaccelerated 2D for a few cards that it has
been hacked to work with.

MC> So I don't get the driver development part?

Well, it's pretty obvious that there's a lot more left to do.  The
current state of free Radeon drivers is not really good at all
although its certainly better than nothing and old cards can generally
be expected to run OK.  Saying that things are "done" is not anywhere
near the truth, unfortunately.

 - J<