kernel panic

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Sep 6 14:48:05 UTC 2007

> The title of this thread - "kernel panic" - tells me that it was not
> booting to the kernel (stage 2 boot loader).  So either grub was wrong
> (looking at the wrong drive/partition because the settings were from

No if I understood it, it was booting the kernel fine.  After it ran out
of initrd though, it was unable to find the actual root filesystem
partition.  Under those circumstances it does say:

so "panic" was the right phrase here, even though it makes one think of
something quite different.

As I pointed out 18 hours ago, if it was the case the root=(LABEL=/ ?)
part of the kernel commandline in /boot/grub/grub.conf no longer matched
the partitions on the drive for some reason, it could have directly
explained it.

-Andy