ATI video comes out of the closet

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri Sep 7 03:57:29 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:

>> Oh, really?  You can get all the drivers you need directly from
>> Microsoft?  Then what's the issue with Vista hardware?
>
> What issue?  Has Microsoft stopped providing updates for XP yet?

The issue that some hardware vendors haven't provided drivers for Vista
and Microsoft is powerless to help them despite having binary XP drivers
(except perhaps by leaning on the vendors)

>>> nVidia themselves are doing more work for
>>> the Linux version since they can't count on a stable interface.
>>
>> And Windows has a stable interface?  Again, I refer you to Vista.
>
> It is stable for many years at a time.

So are certain Linux distributions.  It depends what you want.

>>> Fedora could redistribute the driver as provided by nVidia but
>>> chooses not to.
>>
>> If they were willing to have hidden code they're legally unable to
>> modify.
>
> Or if they cared about their user experience...

Right, I'm sure Fedora developers want to spite their users.

> Firewire is still a good example.

Don't know what you're talking about, so I'll guess.  Linux supports
1394b, but Vista doesn't
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewire#Operating_system_support)?

Matt Flaschen