ATI video comes out of the closet

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Sep 7 11:24:58 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> Are you running the driver that nVidia gives away and fedora makes you
>>> go out of your way to install and use?
>>
>> I think you mean nVidia makes you go out of the way.
>
> No I don't mean that.  I don't have to make any extra effort for
> nVidia drivers on Windows or Macs.  nVidia themselves are doing more
> work for the Linux version since they can't count on a stable
> interface.  Fedora could redistribute the driver as provided by nVidia
> but chooses not to.
>
>> People can get
>> FOSS Intel drivers with full rights directly from Fedora, so I don't
>> think Fedora is the issue here.
>
> Well we disagree, then.  I have no interest in having source or rights
> to do anything but use the devices. I just want drivers that work and
> that work should only have to be done once.
>
>>  Apparently, ATI agrees.
>
> They are probably just tired of trying to keep up with the kernel
> breaking the interface in every update.  It will be interesting to see
> how many people _really_ are able to do better than the vendor
> engineers at writing drivers, though.

    The nVidia drivers that I yum installed yesterday were written it
appears for the latest F7 kernel and the new motherboard nVidia video
system. I tried again for a big format on my monitor and it worked great.

    The /etc/X11/xorg.conf is a real bear now. The nVidia rpm rewrote it.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User