figuring out all wireless connections on fedora 6/7

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Sep 7 12:12:23 UTC 2007

Globe Trotter wrote:
> --- Claude Jones <cjones at levitjames.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu September 6 2007, Globe Trotter wrote:
>>> I get nothing, which is perhaps likely because nm-applet is part of
>>> NetworkManager-gnome?
>>>
>>> Thanks again!
>>> Trotter
>> again, I suggest you give wifi-radar a try - it will do exactly what you
>> described - it opens a GUI, gives you a list of available wireless networks,
>> gives you the ability to configure security, offers a connect to command, and
>>
>> does an excellent job of starting/stopping the radios on a couple of laptops
>> I've tried it on that wouldn't respond to other utilities - I can't speak to
>> network-manager; people who have it working successfully swear by it, but
>> there are tons of complaints and discussions about it come up repeatedly on
>> this list
>>
>> to be clear, I've not tried wifi-radar on a lot of machines - it could have
>> its own set of issues; I don't see it discussed negatively ever, but, that
>> could be just that a lot of people don't use it - in any event, it will take
>> you no more than 5 minutes to install it and  give it a shot if you're still
>> looking for a solution
>
> Hi Claude,
>
> I did try it last night. It came up with nothing and I got the following error
> messages on console:
>
> eth1      Interface doesn't support scanning.
>
> eth1: error fetching interface information: Device not found
> eth1      No such device
>
> eth1      Interface doesn't support scanning.
>
> eth1: error fetching interface information: Device not found
> eth1      No such device

> repeatedly.
>
> I don't know. Maybe I need some more stuff set up before I can do anything? Is
> there a webpage with a helpfile or manual somewhere? Of course, I should google
> it, haven't done that yet. Will do so, now.
>
> Many thanks and best wishes,
> Trotter

The error is because your wireless device is not eth1, or does not
have the driver loaded for it. You may have to configure wifi-radar
for the correct device for your system. It defaults to eth9, but you
can change it. I don't have it installed on this machine, but going
from memory, the file is something like
/etc/wifi-radar/wifi-radar.conf. (The coffee isn't done yet, so my
memory isn't completely trustworthy. )

You can find out your wireless device by running iwconfig, and
seeing what device has wireless extensions. It may be wlan0 instead
of eth1. This is driver dependent - not all drivers use the same device.

Mikkel