Fedora 7: a problem with ntp ?

Andrew Junev a-j at a-j.ru
Fri Sep 7 17:51:42 UTC 2007

> On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 17:44 +0100, Andy Green wrote:
>> ntp has a "sanity check" limit, if the actual clock and the ntp time
>> differ by more than this (1000s? one thousand somethings IIRC) then it
>> just gives up.

Ok, I stopped ntpd, ran ntpdate manually and it synced the clocks.
Then I started ntpd again and it still couldn't get synced. So it's
not a 'sanity check' who is not letting the ntpd work.

> Make sure you have the IP addresses of your NTP servers in BOTH the
> /etc/ntp/ntpservers and /etc/ntp/step-tickers files.  The first thing
> the startup script does is try to run "ntpdate" using the entries in
> the ntpservers file.  That will drag your clock into sync with the
> servers by brute force, then ntpd can keep it synced.

Ok, I checked the /etc/ntp/ntpservers and they are the same on both
Fedora Core 6 and Fedora 7 machines containing just 2 lines:
clock.redhat.com
clock2.redhat.com

/etc/ntp/step-tickers are empty on both machines. I have put the same
lines there from 'ntpservers' file but it didn't help.

Oh! I forgot to mention one thing. ntpdate by itself doesn't
work without any parameters given. I have to manually point it to an
ntp server - only then the time gets synced:
[root at frontend ~]# ntpdate
 7 Sep 21:46:04 ntpdate[3909]: no servers can be used, exiting
[root at frontend ~]# ntpdate  213.203.238.82
 7 Sep 21:46:11 ntpdate[3910]: step time server 213.203.238.82 offset -0.872507 sec
[root at frontend ~]#

Maybe this is also important.

Thanks!