RPM conflict upgrading from F7 -> F8 via yum

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Sep 8 00:38:12 UTC 2007

Robin Bowes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm playing with some new hardware - x86_64.
>
> I wanted to install Fedora 8 Test 1 on it but the installer barfs during
> the installation process. So, I've installed Fedora 7 and am upgrading
> to the rawhide code.
>
> I've done this by:
>
> 1. Enabling the development repo in fedora-development.repo
> 2. Upgrading fedora-release (now have 7.91-1 installed)
> 3. Running "yum upgrade"
>

> This downloads about 1GB of packages, but the transaction test fails with:
>
> Transaction Check Error:
>   file /etc/dbus-1/session.conf from install of dbus-1.1.2-4.fc8
> conflicts with file from package dbus-1.0.2-4.fc7
>   file /etc/dbus-1/system.conf from install of dbus-1.1.2-4.fc8
> conflicts with file from package dbus-1.0.2-4.fc7
>   file /etc/rc.d/init.d/messagebus from install of dbus-1.1.2-4.fc8
> conflicts with file from package dbus-1.0.2-4.fc7
>   file /usr/share/man/man1/dbus-daemon.1.gz from install of
> dbus-1.1.2-4.fc8 conflicts with file from package dbus-1.0.2-4.fc7
>   file /lib/libdbus-1.so.3 from install of dbus-libs-1.1.2-4.fc8
> conflicts with file from package dbus-1.0.2-4.fc7
>
> Any ideas how I can overcome this?
>
> R.

I usually go to single mode, start the firewall and network, update
glibc and allow it to pull in the dependent packages, try to run yum
upgrade again, upgrade conflicting packages, then the rest of the
upgrade seems to take car of itself. But, due to the nature of
development, you might need to hold off with updating some packages that
all packages do not meet dependencies.

--
George Washington was first in war, first in peace -- and the first to
have his birthday juggled to make a long weekend.