Fedora 7: a problem with ntp ?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Sep 8 08:37:01 UTC 2007

On Saturday 08 September 2007, Andrew Junev wrote:
>> As a wild guess (and I'm not sure if anyone else has suggested this to
>> you) do you have any sort of a firewall that could be blocking the
>> connection that ntpd is trying to make?
>
>Nope! I don't have any firewalls. I have other PCs running Fedora
>Core 6 on my home LAN with ntp working on all of them just fine. It's
>only this machine (the only one with Fedora 7) that is not syncing...

And that fairly screams that its an selinux problem, one that setting it to
permissive mode does NOT fix in my experience.

Append to the end of the kernel arguments line in your grub.conf, 'selinux=0'
without the quotes and reboot.  If that fixes it, throw it back at the
selinux mailing list where Stephen Smalley hangs out.

Me, I have a good natting router and firewall, and no desire to spend 3 weeks
fixing all the gotcha's selinux throws up, so the total disable, and that is
the only known way to do it I show above, has been part of my personal bag of
headache pills for quite a while now.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)