Problem with gaim/pidgin

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Sep 8 10:33:14 UTC 2007

Peter Gordon wrote:

>> I get an immediate error when I start pidgin:
>> "libnm_glib_nm_state_cb: dbus returned an error.
>> (org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown)
>> The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided
>> by any .service files"
>
> This is a harmless warning. Pidgin will use NM if it is available on
> your system to automagically reconnect your accounts when it detects a
> network connection; but it will work just fine without NM. (Though, it
> will lack this small functionality.)

Thanks.
I'll keep on with pidgin.

Though I must say I regard harmless error warnings
as a symptom of bad programming.
In this case it doesn't seem necessary to say anything;
maybe there should be an option in a config file -
"Use NM if available".

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366