FC7 still freezing during yum updates

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun Sep 9 16:57:56 UTC 2007

On Sunday 09 September 2007 18:21, Philip Walden wrote:
> This problem has plagued me since I installed FC7.
>
> I have an older laptop (HP Omnibook 6000) that worked great under FC6.
> Never one problem.
>
> I first tried an upgrade from FC6 to FC7, but this process repeatedly
> froze in mid process. The symptoms were, frozen pointer, no disk
> activity, no keyboard response, had to hard-power-reset to recover. I
> then went for the fresh new install. As I recall it also had freezing
> problems, but I was able to eventually complete the installation.
>
> Ever since then, the system still freezes, but only during a yum update
> or soon after the yum update completes. If it freezes during a yum
> update, the machine frequently re-freezes during the hard-reset-re-boot.
> It may take several attempts to get the machine to fully re-boot.
>
> The kicker is that if I do not use yum update during a session, I never
> have a problem. This problem is definitely triggered by the yum update
> process.
>
> Reading other reports of freezes I have tried:
>
> - logging in with ssh from another computer...no response, does not
> appear to be a X server problem
> - checked for kernel messages ... none in any log, it just seems to stop.
>
> Any ideas?
Install apt, and synaptic perhaps. Then try an apt-get update, followed by an
apt-get dist-upgrade. I have no problems with apt, and it's worth a try. if
it doesn't work, it may be a problem with rpm itself, and perhaps someone
else may have a suggestion.

Do you get the same freeze if you do a yum install <package name>?

Nigel.