Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Sep 10 03:43:24 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> I'm pretty much OK with your summary...except for the last paragraph.  I
>> don't feel the intention/target of the Fedora Project was/is
>> "Deployment in
>> a large enterprise".  If that is one of the intentions, I would like
>> to know
>> where it is stated.
>
> It isn't, hence the necessity for Ubuntu or other distribution that is
> intended to be usable.  I just think the fedora developers could do it
> better and keep the RH style administration so more people would be
> potential customers for RHEL on their servers.

I doubt customers of RHEL use Fedora as their decision making criteria.  I
know none of projects I've been involved with at large enterprises have done
so.  Along that line, that has also been the case for other consultants I've
talked with.  I don't feel my experience is unique.

FWIW, I wouldn't deploy Ubuntu at a large enterprise either.....