Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 05:17:56 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:

>>> FWIW, I wouldn't deploy Ubuntu at a large enterprise either.....
>> What would you deploy that has firefox 2.x OpenOffice 2.2, and other
>> current desktop applications?
> ----
> some would think that given the relatively recent releases of Firefox
> 2.x and OpenOffice.org 2.2.x that you are willing to overlook the notion
> of 'stable' simply for features but are not willing to apply that
> elsewhere.

Yes, 'elsewhere' being parts that cause the whole machine to crash or
not be able to access some of its devices.  A bug in an application or
two is something easily fixed with your next update as long as the
machine is still running to do it.  The point is that if your kernel
runs and correctly accesses the devices on your machine, you should need
nothing but security updates to keep your machine running properly for
its entire lifetime (or at least until you add new hardware).  That's
also close to true for standards-conforming server software which
doesn't need to change until the standards do.   It is not true for
desktop software where even today's versions are just starting to be
complete - old versions just aren't suitable for use.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com