NetworkManager, wlan0 doesn't come up by default

Matthew Saltzman mjs at CLEMSON.EDU
Mon Sep 10 18:27:33 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 13:09 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Martin Marques wrote:
> >
> > With network it works fine. I made a change to Netwokmanager to be able
> > to connect to various wireless networks without having to change my
> > network configuration.
> >
> > Network is not up, NetworkManager is. eth0 comes up with NetwokManager
> > without any problem, but wlan0 interface is not up after booting. I have
> > to manually up wlan0 before connecting via NetwokManager.
> >
> Dumb question - is wlan0 configured to come up on boot? (On boot box
> checked, or "ONBOOT=yes" in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0?

Generally, if using NetworkManager, you do not want your interfaces
upped on boot.  The current NM only goes to work when a user logs into
an X session.  Then it connects to the wired interface (if available) or
to the WAP in range that it had connected to most recently.  If no
previous connection, it waits for the user to pick one.

Future versions of NM will support a global connection profile that will
work on boot rather than at login.  Meanwhile, if you want a connection
at boot time, don't use NM.

Whether this all works reliably as intended depends on driver support.
Currently, for example, iwl3945 won't connect through NM when SSIDs are
hidden (without sacrificing a goat and two rabbits).

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu