NetworkManager, wlan0 doesn't come up by default

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 10 20:43:55 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 15:57 -0300, Martin Marques wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson escribió:
> > Martin Marques wrote:
> >> With network it works fine. I made a change to Netwokmanager to be able
> >> to connect to various wireless networks without having to change my
> >> network configuration.
> >>
> >> Network is not up, NetworkManager is. eth0 comes up with NetwokManager
> >> without any problem, but wlan0 interface is not up after booting. I have
> >> to manually up wlan0 before connecting via NetwokManager.
> >>
> > Dumb question - is wlan0 configured to come up on boot? (On boot box
> > checked, or "ONBOOT=yes" in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0?
>
> [root at localhost ~]# grep -i boot /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> ONBOOT=yes

Again this is not how NM works.
Three Midwesterners, a Kansan, a Missourian and an Iowan, all appearing
on a quiz program, were asked to complete this sentence: "Old MacDonald
had a . . ." "Old MacDonald had a carburetor," answered the Kansan.
"Sorry, that's wrong," the game show host said. "Old MacDonald had a
free brake alignment down at the service station," said the Missourian.
"Wrong." "Old MacDonald had a farm," said the Iowan. "CORRECT!" shouts
the quizmaster. "Now for $100,000, spell 'farm.'" "Easy," said the
Iowan. "E-I-E-I-O."
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net