Gnome-panel grief in F7

Bear Tooth Beartooth at adelphia.net
Tue Sep 11 20:00:51 UTC 2007

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 19:44:45 +0000 (UTC)
> Beartooth <Beartooth at swva.net> wrote:
>
>> What the blazes is wrong? Is there some suicidial applet that
>> takes the workspace switcher (and, it sometimes seems, the whole
>> window- manager) down with it whenever it self-destructs? What
>> can I do??
>
> Try this when it happens (as your username, not root)
>
> killall bonobo-activation-server
>
> killall gnome-panel

 	I tried it twice; both times it blinked and redrew the
panels -- incidentally putting the vertical one over the left side
of the terminal, instead of vice versa -- but *not* fixing the
workspace switcher.

 	That appears as a very thin line on the bottom panel; if you
can get the cursor *exactly* on in and right-click, it lets you into
the switcher's preferences, but changing them helps not at all.

 	The bar across the top of the window, btw, is there -- but
it doesn't take on color when you click within the window, and you
can't move the window by grabbing it and dragging. And the terminal
window accepts input from the keyboard only if the cursor is on it.

 	After the double try, I logged out and back in. No joy.
Tried again, and rebooted; no joy.

 	Yesterday I opened pirut and told it to remove gnome
entirely; it did, taking KDE (!) and itself with it. I commanded yum
install pirut and opened it with "pirut &", then told pirut to get
first gnome then KDE; then I went through the options for each; did
yum clean all, rkpm --rebuilddb, updatedb, yum update; rebooted.
None of that helped, either.

--
Beartooth Oldfart, Double Retiree, Neo-Redneck, Linux Convert
Remember, I have precious little idea what I am talking about.