Gnome-panel grief in F7

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Wed Sep 12 14:31:51 UTC 2007

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 06:21:53 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:

> Which window manager are you using? (compiz, metacity, beryl)

	Aha! So that's what compiz is! It's one of the things whose
description is fully opaque to me, but which often gets added as a
dependency. (Fwiw, I thought it was metacity; when I resort with gnashing
of teeth to KDE, it always claims it launches it.)

	Beryl I tried, and immediately started having troubles I couldn't
kludge my way out of; I now take care when running pirut that it *not* be
installed.

> The all windows to the left corner meant the window manager was not
> functional.

	Afaik, it's quite possible that both compiz and metacity are
contending for the upper hand, and defeating one another.

	How do I check?? ps ax|grep on that machine, pointed at either
metacity or compiz, reports only itself -- if that means anything ...