ext3 filesystem performance issues

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 18:55:17 UTC 2007

aragonx at dcsnow.com wrote:
> I'm wondering at what point ext3 starts having issues with number of files
> in a directory.
>
> For instance, will any of the utilities fail (ls, mv, chown etc) if you
> have more than x files in a directory?

Command line programs don't actually fail, but the shell has a limit on
command line length that will make them appear to fail a file list or
wildcard expansion exceeds it.

> At what point does things really start slowing down?
>
> I was told by a coworker that all UNIX varieties have to do an ordered
> list search when they have to preform any operations on a directory.  They
> also stated that if there is more than 100k files in a directory, these
> tools would fail.

Things can slow down a lot with large numbers of files.  There is an
option for ext3 to index the directory which will trade some time
creating/deleting names for search speed.

> This seems like a low number to me but I was looking for some expert
> analysis.  :)

Aside from the time used in all lookups, a real killer is the fact that
creating a new file requires an initial scan to see if the name already
exists, then another one to find an unused slot to create it, and
meanwhile access must be locked so nothing else sees that intermediate
state.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com