hard disk problem

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Sep 12 20:20:59 UTC 2007

Rohan Kulkarni wrote:
> Hello,
>          I have a Seagate SATA hard disk 160GB.My motherboard supports
> till UDMA6.I have enabled UDMA 6 but hdparm -i /dev/sda command shows
> that the hard disk is running in UDMA 5 mode.This is what it shows.

Hdparm is not as good as it could be on reporting/setting SATA
drives. It primarily a tool for PATA drives, with some use with SCSI
and SATA drives. There is a sdparm program, but it is not that easy
a program to use. That being said, in most cases you will find that
the BIOS has already set the transfer mode to the fastest supported.
You should be careful about changing the setting with SATA drives
unless you are sure you know what you are doing. (You should also be
careful about what you change on PATA drives.)

Mikkel