What web cam

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sat Sep 15 22:45:57 UTC 2007

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 13:39:12 -0700
Bruce Byfield <bbyfield at axion.net> wrote:

> > I'm running FC7 and just checking to see if anyone had good luck with
> > one.  I don't want to spend hours on it, make a post and get "OMG throw
> > it out!" :-)

I'm using a Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision with the uvcvideo driver
from http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/, but beware that only v4l2
(that's video for linux version 2) compliant apps can talk the
UVC interface, so support seems somewhat spotty (ekiga seems to
talk to it, but I don't know anyone else to try connecting to,
so I don't know if it actually works :-). I've never been able
to find an app that can record video and audio off the thing,
the best I've done is use mencoder to pick up the video and arecord
to pick up audio, then wedge them back together with some appropriate
time delay to get the audio synced up :-). Most of the TV recorder
apps claim to support UVC, but they don't like a UVC video device
with no tuner support, so I haven't been able to use any of them
to record anything.