Running a dovecot IMAPS server

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sun Sep 16 10:51:04 UTC 2007

On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 11:18:30AM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Just to be clear what I am saying.
> Suppose you have a standard maildir setup on computer X,
> with directories ~/Maildir/inbox/[cur,new,tmp]/ ,
> ~/Maildir/family/[cur,new,tmp]/ , etc.
>
> Suppose now you start dovecot IMAP on computer X.
> Then you will not be able to see the family folder on computer Y,
> running as an IMAP client, ie with an IMAP kmail account
> pointing to computer X.
>
> If I am right, you have to re-organise and re-name the folders on X
> if you want to see them on Y.
> And if you do this, you can no longer seem them on X with kmail.

Dovecot has both mbox and Maildir format support.

But as soon as you have an e-mail klant using a non-supported mailbox
format *or* that is storing mail folders in a supported format but in
a non-standard place, tour theory applies, yes.

See also <http://wiki.dovecot.org/> for more info about this all.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>