convert file.wmv to .wav ?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Sep 16 16:11:08 UTC 2007

Adalbert Prokop wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote on Sunday 16 September 2007:
>

>> Can someone tell me how to convert audio .wmv to .wav, .mp3, or .ogg?
>>

> lame file.wav file.mp3
>
> or
>
> oggenc -o file.ogg file.wav
>
> That should do the trick. ;) Lame is in the "lame" package and oggenc is
> part of the "vorbis-tools" package.
>
> If you want to set the bitrate, CBR/VBR setting or other options you will
> have to read the manual pages.
>

>> I tried ImageMagick 'convert' but I don't seem to be able to make it
>> work, perhaps because I don't have the command right?  As usual I'm
>> having trouble with the man page ...
>>

> The reference to "image formats" clearly states, that it's for pictures,
> not for sound files.
Unfortunately the file I received and want to convert is ".wmv" and the
above applications apparently don't support wmv?  This .wmv file is only
audio, no images?

I can play this .wmv audio file with vlc but then I need a way to record
it as something else such as .wav which I can then compress to ogg or mp3.

Lame does produce an mp3 file but it looks like white noise when
displayed with Audacity.  Aplayer also produces a blast of white noise
in the loudspeaker.

I thank you for the suggestions though ...

Bob Goodwin