Desktop Effect/Compiz

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 22:40:06 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 17:45 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>
>> I am noticing some strange behavior when desktop effects is enabled.
>> When I open new programs/windows in the maximized state, the right edge
>> of the window goes beyond the edge of the desktop and onto the next
>> desktop. Anyone else have this problem?
>>

> Yes, that happened for me, too.
>

>> Also, I had tried desktop effects before but something must have changed
>> with the default behavior during an update. Now when I change desktops I
>> don't get the fast revolving cube switch but it changes instantly.
>>

> Seen that, too.  Going through disabling and re-enabling various desktop
> effects options in my preferences, and sometimes logging out and back in
> again, or restarting X, would often bring it back to what it should be
> doing.
>

>> The only problem I have is it seems to minimize open windows on the
>> desktop you switch FROM. I like having the small icons on the
>> workspace switcher, but now I can't tell what windows are on what
>> desktop!
>>

> I'm not quite sure what you're describing, now.  I have had a problem
> where occasionally applications would get minimised, and I could find no
> way to un-minimise them, short of turning desktop effects off.

Let me see if I can explain it a bit better. Let say I'm on desktop 1
and I have Thunderbird open. If I look in the first "box" on the desktop
switcher (bottom right) I see the Thunderbird icon. If I click on any
other desktop using the switcher, the icon goes away, so now I can't
tell by looking that Thunderbird was open on desktop 1. If I click back
to desktop 1 Thunderbird is maximized again but it jiggles like it was
minimized and just maximized. Does that make sense?
> For these sorts of niggles, and the rather large drain on the system
> while trying to use some applications, I now leave the effects off.

I may do the same even though I like the effects. I tried turning it off
using the "Desktop Effects" app and the contents of the windows blanked
out and didn't come back. Additionally X was completely locked up. I
checked it from another computer since the keyboard was unresponsive and
Xorg was using 99.9% cpu. Even after killing X manually I still couldn't
get the computer to respond properly but it did respond to a reboot
command so at least I didn't have to hit the reset switch.

Richard