[Fedora] Re: Blocking SSH ... BUT...

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Sep 19 00:16:12 UTC 2007

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:29:47 -0600
"Ashley M. Kirchner" <ashley at pcraft.com> wrote:

> kalinix wrote:
> > But, since you are using ssh, I suggest start using also sftp for file
> > transfer: much more secure, encrypted, no plain text passwords and only
> > tcp port 22 opened in firewall.
>     I cannot enforce this on our clients.  I have to allow for standard
> FTP protocol.  However your point is well taken.  In a perfect world,
> sure...

In which case I suspect you need to look hard at WebDAV and other https://
based transfer options before someone sniffs all the passwords and has a
party at your expense.

(WebDAV is the standard microsoft embraced, and so far hasn't extended ;)
but decided to call 'My Network Places' rather than WebDAV) and is built
into modern versions of their products as a network drive.