[Fedora] Re: Blocking SSH ... BUT...

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Wed Sep 19 00:20:22 UTC 2007

Alan Cox wrote:
> In which case I suspect you need to look hard at WebDAV and other https://
> based transfer options before someone sniffs all the passwords and has a
> party at your expense.

    We have in the past.  Problem is the overhead on both HTTP as well
as the SSL connection.  Our clients are transferring files that are 4-
to 700 MB to us on a weekly basis.  Occasionally we'll get someone like
DigitalGlobe who will send us a few gigabytes overnight.  When we were
running WebDAV, it took forever and another eon.  Then we tried using an
upload method through https...same thing.  FTP has been by far the best
solution, fast and painless (for our clients.)  Everyone can download an
FTP program from the net and connect.  But not everyone knows how to
configure things to use sftp instead of ftp.  And even then, again the
overhead has always been the killer.  For that matter, even locally, I
get much better transfers if I use FTP instead of sftp.  Almost 200% faster.

--
H | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6