Mail Server Error Message

Ed Kasky ed at esson.net
Wed Sep 19 16:57:54 UTC 2007

At 11:13 AM -0400 9/19/07, you wrote:
>I jsut got this message on my mail server from one of my users. I'm
>not sure about it and I can only find two hits on google, and they are
>in french.
>
>451-The server has reached its limit for processing requests from your host
>
>Anyone know what this means? The details of the email are that there
>is a user on vacation, and she is forwarding her email to her personal
>email address, and this is what we are getting back.

The basic smtp message is a hard reject and means:

451 Requested action aborted: local error in processing

...for whatever reason.  The server appears to only allow so many
connections from a single host.  Probably and anti-spam/anti-relay
setting.

 From RFC1893 on Enhanced Mail System Status Codes

X.4.5   Mail system congestion

           The mail system was unable to deliver the message because
           the mail system was congested. This is useful only as a
           persistent transient error.

What MTA are you using on the server?  Did you check the queue??

Ed
--
Randomly Generate Quote:
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.