bcm43xx and kernel-2.6.22.5-76.fc7

Jesus Jr M Salvo jesus.m.salvo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 13:20:38 UTC 2007

On 20/09/2007, Jeff Stewart <bvmunix at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/19/07, Martin Marques <martin at bugs.unl.edu.ar> wrote:
> >
> > My WIFI:
> >
> > 03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN
> > Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)
> >
> > [root at localhost ~]# uname -r
> > 2.6.22.5-76.fc7
> >
> > firmware v4
> >
> > Excellent results. With earlier versions I couldn't get better the 11M
> > connections.
> >
> > What version of firmare are you using? I heard thet version 3 doesn't
> > work anymore. You also need the new fwcutter.
> >

> Well, I'm using version 3 and I was actually able to get things working by
> following the directions in
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-August/msg04257.html
>
> So I'm now back in business.  I tried using the v4 firmware some months ago,
> and it just didn't work for me.  Maybe I'll revisit that.  But for now, all
> is well again.  Running at 24 Mb/s.
> --
> Jeff Stewart
> --

1) Don't you get the following error on dmesg when using v3 firmware
with the latest kernel ( or even with the 2.6.22.4-65 kernel ) ?:

b43-phy0 ERROR: YOUR FIRMWARE IS TOO OLD. Firmware from binary drivers
older than version 4.x is unsupported. You must upgrade your firmware
files.
b43-phy0 debug: Adding Interface type 2
b43-phy0 ERROR: Microcode not responding

2) In order to get rid of the message above, I am trying to force the
use of bcm43xx driver. How does one force bcm43xx driver instead of
b43 driver ? I already have an alias on modprobe.conf like this:

alias wlan0 bcm43xx

.... but the kernel still uses the b43 driver instead.

Regards,

John