How to install Fedora 7 to a CF card connected via IDE-CF adapter?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Sep 20 21:28:19 UTC 2007

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Phil Meyer wrote:
>>>

>> I don't know if I can add much to this discussion, but installing to CF
>> is something that we do here allot.
>>
>> We have one 8GB CF card that when installed into the on board IDE
>> controller of either Mother Board we use, the system will not pass post.
>
> I think we have some that hang in Linux. past POST which need ide=nodma
> added. Sandisk was the brand with 16 MB and 32 MB sizes. The hang during
> POST I get occasionally with bad IDE disks but not so far with CF cards.
>>
>> We have three types of 2GB CF cards that we currently use in
>> production systems.  We use two different mini-ITX motherboards.
>> Neither motherboard can boot all three types of CF cards.  Each can
>> use two of the three.
>
> Our Power PC embedded devices work with a very narrow range of cards. It
> is luck when a reliable card is found.
>

>> In the case of the 'common' CF card, it is very hit and miss.  Usually
>> the CF throws lots of errors during the install (or any heavy writes
>> after the install) and often fails the install.  In that case we avoid
>> that CF card type in those Mother Boards.
>
> Good call! They only seem to deteriorate from the initial conditions.
>

>> Many hours of research has revealed that CF are not all alike, and
>> that  NAND devices in general all have a 'controller' embedded on the
>> card itself.  These controllers are classified by type.  To simplify,
>> they are easy to think of as fixed disk, removable disk, and generic.
>
> Thanks for the info. I knew the cards had a built-in controller but not
> that removable, fixed or generic were possible classifications.
>

>> Most of the CF cards that are labeled 'Industrial' are specifically
>> made with a fixed disk type controller.
>>

> We're supposed to start using the "Industrial" cards and performing some
> modification which switches off and on power to the CF cards. The
> Industrial CF cards do not work without the modifications. Since it is
> surface mount and very low mil devices, we let the production facility
> on Norway deal with the modifications.
>
>> Secondly, not all IDE/CF devices are the same.  Some are made to
>> handle generic and removable media types, and some are not.  It is
>> unclear if these can be corrected in BIOS.
>>
>> So for our requirements, we have to purchase CF cards in a batch, test
>> the batch, and return and re-order a different brand if necessary.
>>
>> Its a pain.  Brand and model number does not mean anything over time.
>
> We have some product that uses USB Flashes which have a similar
> predicament. I tried to get two parts for test equipment from one
> ordering system into an ordering system where we could acquire the parts
> when I found out about their hit and miss batch ordering.
>

>> Many vendors would produce only 'fixed disk' type CF cards on a new
>> card.  Almost all 2GB cards, when that size was new, were 'fixed disk'
>> type.  Now days its almost impossible to find a 2GB CF card that is
>> not 'removable disk'.

> [...]
It would be interesting if people who have these cards and boot
regularly could (a) note what shows up in POST, and (b) boot the
stand-alone CD of FC7 (FC7 Live) and see if the device shows, what dmesg
says about it, etc.

I have assumed that using expert mode even USB connected "thumb drives"
could be installed. I haven't tried it, but I have seen a laptop boot of
such a drive, so FC7 installed *somehow* and not with an IDE adaptor.

Note: I have read that Intel has a new CF process which will give about
as many cycles as a hard drive, but I know zero about that being
available to users, brands, etc.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>