How to play .AU files with Fedora?

Knute Johnson knute at frazmtn.com
Thu Sep 20 21:38:03 UTC 2007

>I have some .AU files which have no association under GNOME.
>I tried the "media player", and no sound comes out.
>"Music Player" won't recognize them at all.
>
>What app should I associate to play .AU files?
>
>Thanks
>
>Mike

Sun audio file.  Very easy to play with Java.

import java.io.*;
import javax.sound.sampled.*;

public class Play {
        try {
            AudioInputStream ais =
                AudioSystem.getAudioInputStream(new File(args[0]));
            AudioFormat af = ais.getFormat();
            System.out.println("Format: " + af.toString());

            int frameRate = (int)af.getFrameRate();
            System.out.println("Frame Rate: " + frameRate);
            int frameSize = af.getFrameSize();
            System.out.println("Frame Size: " + frameSize);

            SourceDataLine line = AudioSystem.getSourceDataLine(af);
            line.open(af);
            int bufSize = line.getBufferSize();
            System.out.println("Buffer Size: " + bufSize);

            line.start();

            byte[] data = new byte[bufSize];
            int bytesRead;

            while ((bytesRead = ais.read(data,0,data.length)) != -1)
                line.write(data,0,bytesRead);

            line.drain();
            line.stop();
            line.close();