How to force NetworkManager to ignore a specific interface ( such as wireless ) ... and interface name change ?

Jesus Jr M Salvo jesus.m.salvo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 14:22:18 UTC 2007

Hi,

1) I have decided to turn off wireless for awhile ( troubleshooting on
the new kernel, as the new kernel seems to hang, etc.. ):

# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
# Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 UART
DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=no
< ... snip ...>

Also decided to delete the wireles firmware files for my device (
bcm43xx ) from /lib/firmware.

So I restarted, I then realised that NetworkManager does not really
rely on the contents ifcfg-eth1 file (?? correct me if I am wrong ) as
is still insists on loading the interface. Thi is what dmesg says
repeatedly:

b43-phy0 debug: Adding Interface type 2
b43-phy0 ERROR: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available or load failed.
b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and
download the correct firmware (version 4)
b43-phy0 debug: Adding Interface type 2
b43-phy0 ERROR: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available or load failed.
b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and
download the correct firmware (version 4)

.... because I removed the firmware files from /lib/firmware.

Is there anyway to force NetworkManager to ignore the interface ? Note
that I have even turned OFF the wireless device on the notebook. My HP
/ compaq presario V6017AU ha this switch on front to turn wireless on
and off. Still, NetworkManager insists on using the interface by

2) Furthermore, my wireless interface was previously called wlan0. For
some reason, it is now called eth1. What can force the interface name
change ? ... and how to change it back to wlan0 ?

Regards,

John