How to mount a dos floppy ?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 21 01:22:51 UTC 2007

Aldo Foot wrote:
> Gents,
> is the /etc/floppy file needed for /dev/fd0 to work?
> The file /etc/floppy does not exist in a newly installed system, so I read
> somewhere that in order to use the floppy you have to create the file with
> the command
>         # floppy --createrc >/etc/floppy
>
> But even after executing the command in FC7 I could not format the floppy
> using /dev/fd0, I had to use
>        # fdformat /dev/fd0u1440.
>
> Please note that the file /dev/fd0 did exist. Any comments appreciated.
> ~Aldo.

$ ls /etc/floppy
ls: /etc/floppy: No such file or directory
$ mount /dev/fd0
$ mount
[...]
/dev/fd0 on /mnt/floppy type msdos (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=jmccarty)

Note, however, that formatting a floppy and mounting it are
not the same thing. Also, I use FC2, not FC7, and things
may have changed somewhat. You do have to tell fdformat
what size to format...

$ man fdformat
[...]
The  generic  floppy devices, /dev/fd0 and /dev/fd1, will fail to work
with fdformat when a non-standard format is being used, or if the for-
mat  has not been autodetected earlier.  In this case, use setfdprm(8)
to load the disk parameters.
[...]

Remember, man is your friend :-)

If you insert a blank floppy into there, then you must let fdformat
know what size it is.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.