How to mount a dos floppy ?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 21 01:30:29 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>>
>>>mount /dev/fd0 -t vfat /media   Works but it dumps all the files in
>>>/media.
>>
>>It is preferable to use
>>
>>mount /dev/fd0 -t msdos /path/to/empty/directory/for/mount/point
>>
>>Note that vfat and msdos are NOT the same. For use with old
>>MSDOS formatted discs, msdos is preferable.
>>
>>Mike
>
> Why not use "gnome-mount -d /dev/fd0"? It can be run by a normal
> user, as log as they are the console user. (Logged into the machine
> locally.)

$ gnome-mount
bash: gnome-mount: command not found

Is that reason enough?

> Then again, if you only want to copy files off the floppies, you can
> use mtools.

Another set of tools which I'm not particularly familiar with.
The tools I use, mount/umount, are found on all *NIX like systems.

Since I know how to use a set of tools which are ported nearly
everywhere, I prefer not to learn every possible dialect of tool
which is not ported.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.