LiveCD installer and home folder

Hikaru Amano kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 07:15:20 UTC 2007

On 9/20/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 08:47 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > I doubt that any clean installation would preserve the home directory
> > but I have never tried installing from the LiveCD so I can't say I am
> > 100% sure of that.
>
> If home is a directory, you can manually delete the rest of the drive
> (all the folders but the home one), and not format drives during the
> install.
>
> If home is a partition, you can do pretty much the same as the above
> (format the other partitions, delete any folders left over, but leave
> home alone).
>
> I'd be tempted to take home out of the equation for the new install, old
> settings on a new release doesn't always work nicely (rename old home
> directories, relabel old home partitions, before the install).  If you
> let the new install create a new home, you can work this out afterwards
> (copy over old bits and pieces, as needed).

Thanks for the replies .

I've successfully installed F8T2 by not mounting home partition during
installation and add the entry to fstab afterward ..

Still , my I'm still wondering whether the disk-to-disk installation
of LiveCD anaconda overrides the home partition IF it is mounted from
the installer ... bcoz well, my understanding, dd-like installation
usually overrides .. but i dont know how it actually works @ Livecd
anaconda ...

--
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail