OT: Use Thunderbird to pick up ROOT Mail?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 21 06:36:13 UTC 2007

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>I'd like to configure Thunderbird (and/or /root/.forward) so
>>that e-mail to root shows up in my INBOX, and a filter automatically
>>puts it into a Thunderbird folder (root). So far, I have not been
>>successful in this. I have Thunderbird pulling using POP from my
>>ISP. Anyone have advice?
>

> Need some clarification.....
>
> You want to "root" on your system to be sent to your INBOX on your system?
> Is that part of the goal?  If that is the case, then wouldn't the aliases
> file be of value to you?
>
> # Person who should get root's mail
> #root:          marc
>
> ???

That's partway there. As you know, there are various services
which send e-mail to root on Linux machines. I never log in
as root, and only use root privilege (via su - or sudo) a few
times a month. As a result, I have a backlog of unread messages
which I feel guilty about not reading, but which I also don't
want to read with "mail".

I can use /root/.forward to forward them to my normal user
on my machine, but then I'm still stuck. I don't use mail,
or anything like that, actually to read mail, not only because
the tools are so terrible, but because I don't run a mail server.
I use Thunderbird to pull from my ISP using POP.

I'd like to be able to get my root mail in my inbox, and have
it stuck into a folder in my regular e-mail.

I'm sure there must be a way to do that, but I don't know what
it might be.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.